Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Today was a good day...I didn't have to use my AK

Thanks Ice Cube for the song lyric...I knew I could work it into a blog post somehow. Oh yeah, the picture to the right is of myself and a Croatian pilot just before I had the opportunity to fly a MIG-21 back in 2002 with the Croatian Air Force. Spent two weeks there...what a great memory.

I've had a few days at home in North Texas prior to my next interim stop. It has been great being at home with my family prior to leaving. The best part about today is that it is snowing here...obviously with not much accumulation. But significant enough to make snowballs. In fact as I type away, I'm looking out my window and watching my kids play. And to top it off my wife is shoveling snow from in front of our front door. It's true...she's much more motivated than I am.

So, as the day that I leave draws closer...I hold today close. These are the memories that carry servicemen and women through their long deployments. It's the everyday life at home, good and bad, with family and friends that makes a year away seem much shorter. The only thing I've noticed about our family's emotional change, is that as I get closer to leaving my wife and I become more withdrawn from one another. Seems like a natural psychological effect between us...to prepare for absence. No matter what, we both know how much we will miss one another. The kids are a whole other story. After 17 years of doing this job...it has only gotten harder to leave them. Much harder. I already miss everyone.

On a much lighter note. I have to give a huge "THANKS" to Dan over at THE DESERT PERISCOPE for being the first one to comment on my new blog. Since I pretty well stole the format from him...and he's my "sea-daddy" in Iraq....I'll give him some props. Everyone remember Denzel Washington in Crimson Tide. Well, Dan reminds me of him...just much whiter..and shorter. He's leaving Iraq soon, God Speed my friend, and looks like I may be part of the group that replaces he and his group. Changing of the guard so to speak. Once everyone has finished reading here, ensure you "complete all items before engine shutdown on the blog checklist".

No comments: